From: chas <panda_at_peace.com.my>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:39:13 +0800 (SGT)

A most sincere thank you to Michael Richter, Girish Phadke,
George Guethlein, Dr. Tom Blinn & Jean-Loup Risler for the
help and replies, especially those written in a neophyte-friendly
manner which I really appreciated :)
Not only did this help me accomplish the desired task but
more importantly, finally understand what was happening
a lot better than before.

1) In my initial configuration, I should have used
   # disklabel -w -r rz6 ST32151N
   since ST32151N is the disk model number

2) I converted the one large partition on the second disk
   to the desired 300 MB swap space and one data partition
   as follows :
       # /sbin/umount /disk2

           # disklabel -z rz6

           # disklabel -w -r rz6 ST32151N

        # disklabel -e /dev/rrz6c
        (Edited the disk label partition info as follows :
               size offset fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
          a: 3579015 0 unused 0 0
          b: 614400 3579015 unused 0 0
          c: 4193415 0 unused 0 0
          d: 0 0 unused 0 0
          e: 0 0 unused 0 0
          f: 0 0 unused 0 0
          g: 1900099 393216 unused 0 0
          h: 1900100 2293315 unused 0 0

        # newfs /dev/rrz6a

        Added the following to /etc/fstab :
        /dev/rz6a /disk2 ufs rw 1 2
        /dev/rz6b swap2 ufs sw 0 2

        # mount /disk2

        # swapon -a

3) From Jean-Loup Risler :
   WARNING: do not put a swap partition onto the "a" partition
   since it could erase the label.
   Put your large partition onto "a" and the swap onto "b"

   I actually found that my new label refused to write when the 'a'
   was the smaller partition so this tip also helped.

4) Another caveat : MAKE CERTAIN THE DISK PARTITIONS DO NOT OVERLAP

5) There is also a GUI diskconfig tool but this app fails to
   start up on my machine, spewing error messsages everywhere.

For completeness (and b/c they explain this better than I could hope to)
I attach the replies from that helped. Again, most sincere thanks and
my apologies for this tome of a summary... I just hope it helps others
in the future.

chas

From: Jean-Loup Risler <risler_at_genetique.uvsq.fr>

> But I really would like to have one large file system on this
> second disk as opposed to splitting the usable section between
> /dev/rz6a and /dev/rz6c. Is it possible to just split this new
> disk into one small 300 MB swap partition and assign the rest
> to one partition ?

1) Yes, you can split easily your disk into two filesystems with:

disklabel -e -r /dev/rrz6

2) WARNING: do not put a swap partition onto the "a" partition
   since it could erase the label.

   Put your large partition onto "a" and the swap onto "b"

Cheers,

Jean-Loup

From: Michael Richter <richter_at_chemie.uni-hamburg.de>

use the GUI Diskconfig Utility.

First step:

Backup all of your Data on the new Disk. Then delete the disklabel of the
new disk.

Second Step:

Start diskconfig and configure your new disk.

bye,

Michael Richter

From: Girish Phadke <pgirish_at_binariang.maxisnet.com.my>

hello
yes that is not problem it is not mandatory to use secondary swap as rz6b.
  use disklabel -e and modify for one continues and rest for 300mb of b.
What you have modify is size of a
 offset of a =0 s
offset of b=size of a partition
then write the new disklabel.

From: George Guethlein <GGuethlein_at_GiantOfMaryland.com>

YES, you can make your disk layout in two useable pieces
like you want. Just do the following :

1.) Remove the filesystem you created (and swap space ?)
2.) May want to comment out any /etc/fstab changes too
3.) Run the disklabel command again, just to be sure
4.) "disklabel -r rz6 > rz6_label.out"
5.) "disklabel -e rz6"
6.) Change the size of the a partition to be 614400
      (The # of 512-byte sectors, which equals 300MB)
7.) Change the offset of the c partition to 614400
      (c will start right after a, to the end of the disk)
8.) Reduce the size of the c partition to account for the
      space that was removed and added to the a partition
      (ie. the size of a + c = What c was before you started)
9.) Change size & offset of b partition to 0 (zero)
      (just ensure it can't be used later & mess up a and c)
10.) Re-create your filesystem and swap space
11.) Re-add the changes to /etc/fstab.