SUMMARY: rsh between linux and osf

From: Spalding, Stephen <SSpaldin_at_mem-ins.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 17:03:01 -0600

My original message was:

"We just set up a linux box to do some testing on, and I'm trying to set it
> up so that all I have to do to get on this box is type in "rsh <box name>"
> and not get prompted for a password. I have added my osf box name in the
> /etc/hosts.allow file with the line "ALL: <osf box name>". I have also
> added
> a .rhosts file in my home directory on both boxes. However, I still get
> prompted for a password whenever I rsh from osf to linux, but not the
> other
> way. In other words, I can rsh from the linux box to the osf box without
> giving a password. Can anyone tell me what I'm forgetting here?"

Jim Belonis hit the nail on the head by stating that some UNIX operating
systems prefer tighter read access on the .rhosts file. I changed the
permissions on my .rhosts file on the linux box to 700 and I was then able
to rsh over to it without giving a password.

By the way, I also had taken out the osf host name in the linux box's
/etc/hosts.allow file.

Thanks Jim!

-Stephen Spalding