TGA8M graphics cards

From: <shoyle_at_csc.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:02:03 +0000

Dear Managers,
                                    Any information into the question below
would be gratefully received......

We have been requested to upgrade 5 AXPVME 230 processors from DU v3.2c to
v4.0d. As a test, one of the systems (which in fact is an AX PVME160) was
upgraded to v4.0b. This was done successfully with the correct Firmware and
o/s working correctly. The problem however lies in the fact that all
systems have TGA8M graphics modules attached. NB:- Digital/Compaq do not
support any version under 4.0, before we took over the boxes, someone in
their infinate wisdom had cancelled all UNIX (not VMS) maintenance, that
person has since left!!....

When running v3.2c, the additional Firmware installed for the graphics
cards (on top of the o/s Firmware) was v15.0-1, this enabled the cards to
work correctly, however when we upgraded to v4.0b the system came up ok but
it did not recognise the graphics cards. After further investigation and
head banging, the only explanation we could come up with was that the
graphics cards required an additional Firmware release for v4.0 as it did
for v3.2 (the o/s Firmware rev installed for v4.0b was v16). NB:- When
attempting to set the environmental variable (set tga_sync_green 1) we were
confronted by UNK SYM messages.

Therefore, could anyone who actually knows what the special Firmware for
the TGA8M cards is, or anyone who has had these sorts of problems, please
(PLEASE!) supply us with an answer. Also, is there any special driver
software required to upgrade to v4.0 which will be needed to support the
graphics cards????

The specs for the TGA8M cards are Revision A01, model 2T-EBVXG-AA.

Apologies for any incorrect Digital terminology, we mainly run Solaris but
have just been asked to become far more involved in Digital.

Thanks in advance........Steve Hoyle

shoyle_at_csc.com