SUMMARY: change default description for LAT services

From: Charles Sebold <sebold_at_lcms.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:45:13 -0600

Thanks to Steve Butcher and Dr. Tom Blinn:

> If you put something like the following in your /etc/latstartup.conf :-
>
> /usr/sbin/latcp -i "Description required" -a HOSTNAME
>
> with your required Description and the machine name , this should give you
> the desired effect.

I had misunderstood the man page (as I suspected). By adding this line
to /sbin/init.d/lat just after the "latcp -s" line, everything worked as
it should.

Note that you cannot add these options to the same line as the "latcp
-s" line; otherwise you get an error message telling you that "Multiple
options are not supported".

My original question was:

> Is there any way to change the default LAT service description from
> "Digital UNIX Version V4.0 LAT SERVICE" to a user-specified string? I
> want to change the default, not the description for specific devices;
> that's possible using latcp -i"description" .

I had thought that one could only use the -i/-a tags when setting up an
application-specific LAT service.

--
Charles Sebold
Office of Information Systems