DUNIX 4.0E install problems

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 16:03:13 -0800

Hi Folks,

I hope this hasn't been covered before and I missed it.

I'm installing 4.0E onto an Alpha164 PC box, currently running 4.0B,
using installupdate from single user mode. I started the procedure
and walked away while it did its thing. So I missed most of the
messages, if any, that it may have shown on the screen. When I got
back to it, it showed a message to the following effect:

panic (cpu 0 ): setconf: bootdevice_parser failed

and complains about nowhere to dump its guts.

The main disk (rz0) which contains the operating system is connected to
the system through an IntraServer FWD SCSI PCI card, if this makes any
difference. It looks like the installupdate completed, and the machine
was trying to reboot from the newly buitl kernel (which is there), but
failed somehow.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what went wrong, and what needs to be
done to complete the install? I'd hate to have to clear off the disk
and start fresh, although it looks like I will have to reinstall a lot
of my layered products anyway.

thanks in advance for any information,
eyc