Kernel recompile, ace_regbase, and ECU reprised

From: Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar_at_Golux.Com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:21:25 -0400

Installing 4.0D on the AlphaServer 2100A that came into my
hands the other day (completely sans documentation), I ran
afoul of the undefined ace_regbase symbol error during the
kernel rebuild. Consulting the list archives, I find the
solution is to "run ECU" to fix the serial port(s).

With no docco, ECU is black magic to me, so I hope that just
running it will do whatever needs to be done.

All right, so I type 'ecu' from the SRM console prompt, and
get a 'Now running ARC application... please wait...
Error: Device error, press any key to continue" message. I
think this leads to the next problem, which is that
the system time is inconsistent in the NVRAM, and this gets
reported every time I run ECU, even after fixing the time.

Oh, and even after running ECU I get the ace_regbase problem.
Can anyone tell me specifically *what* I need to do with ECU?
And is the system time issue nothing to worry about (I'm never
going to run NT on this!)?

Thanks.. I'll summarise if there is new information compared to
the previous ace_regbase summaries.
--
#ken    P-)}