SUMMARY: Unknown Machine Check Code 9a

From: Boye Färber <bfaerbe_at_umpa06.gwdg.de>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 11:12:24 +0200

At the beginning I repeat the problem:

>Our System - a Digital Workstation AU466 running with DU4.0C crashes
>sporadically every 2-4 Weeks and two times yesterday.
>In the crash-data file and in the /var/adm/messages file I found the
>following information:

>Jan 28 20:59:20 umpa07 vmunix: Machine Check Processor Fatal Abort
>Jan 28 20:59:20 umpa07 vmunix: Machine Check Code = 9a
>Jan 28 20:59:20 umpa07 vmunix: Unknown machine check code 0x9a

>Does anybody have an idea what may have caused our crashes? What
>information should I look for else?

And here is the summary of the answers which I fortunately got:

-Machine checks are always hardware related.
-It is CPU or motherboard problem.
-Call Digital/Compaq service.
-0x9a is not a valid code that the system's PALcode passed to the
operating system code.
-Less probable it is a bug in the PALcode. A firmware upgrade should fix

it.
-Since the machine check code was invalid, there is no additional data
that you are likely to be able to find.

Thanks Tom Blinn, Peter Reynolds and John Francini for their answers.

And here is our solution:
We called the Compaq-Service. Our Mainboard and CPU was changed. They
fixed the problem under the guarantee-conditions :-))

Boye Faerber

( E-Mail: bfaerbe_at_umpa06.gwdg.de )