Defrag causing database corruption

From: McAully, Neil \(x7224\) <"McAully,>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:26:27 +1000

Hi Managers,

We have had some problems restoring from one system onto another. The backup
method was to put the oracle database into backup mode, clone the filesets
and then take the database out of backup mode, and then run vdump on the
clones.
This stopped working (corruptions were found in the oracle database indexes)
following the upgrade from DU 4.0B to 4.0DPK0003. We have just found (by
experiment) that the defragcron inserted into cron at the 4.0D release has
caused the problem. Removing it from cron (it is inserted to run daily at
01:01) has fixed the problem. It seems to be a strange idea to have a defrag
run at the time when most of us will be running backups of some sort. I am
reliably informed that the defragcron job has been removed at 4.0E.
We will still run defrag, but following a successful full vdump.
I hope this information is of use to you.

Cheers,

Neil McAully
Unix/VME Group, IT Services
Vodafone Network Pty Ltd
ph: +61 2 9415 7224 fax: +61 2 9415 7092

This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may
contain confidential or legally privileged information or both.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistransmission. If you receive this correspondence in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence
if you are not the intended recipient.

except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to
be the views of Vodafone.