Administrivia: What is the story here with rejected submissions?

From: Dave Sill <ds-tum_at_sws5.ctd.ornl.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:16:48 -0400 (EDT)

Barry Treahy <treahy_at_mmaz.com> wrote:
>I stepped off the list for roughly a year and came became under the new
>tru64 name but the list behavoir has changed and, frankly, I find it
>irritating...
>
>The old list, if you had a solution to a posting, you could reply it to
>the list so that others could benefit...

No, this list has had a no-reply policy since day one.

When you joined the list (both times) you received a policy statement
that detailed the no-reply policy. The current version of this reads:

  6. Answers to questions are to be mailed back to the questioner and are
     not to be sent to the entire list. Before responding, please make sure
     the questioner hasn't already posted a summary. People often respond
     very quickly to messages posted to the list and it's not unusual for a
     summary to be posted within an hour of the original question. This is
     especially important if you only read list messages periodically.

  7. The person who originally asked the question has the responsibility of
     summarizing the answers and sending the entire summary back to the
     list. Consider this the price you pay for the advice you receive. When
     a summary is sent back to the list, it should contain the word
     "SUMMARY" as the first word of the "Subject" line. The summary should
     include a brief description of the original question and a short
     synopsis of each of the unique responses. Don't just list the
     respondents or say the problem is fixed, and don't just include a copy
     of all of the responses.

  8. Discussions on any topic are very strongly discouraged and will not
     normally be tolerated.

All indications are that this policy is popular and effective at
increasing the signal/noise ratio of the list.

Dave Sill
Tru64-UNIX-Managers owner