Configuring LSM on raw disks for Oracle Parallel Server

From: Wendy Fong <wfong_at_synacom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:50:05 -0700

Hi there.

I need some basic help with configuring LSM on DRDs for use with Oracle
Parallel Server.

I have two 4100s with 4.0d/patch 3, memory channel hardware, production
server 1.5 and Oracle Parallel Server 8.0.4. There are six 4GB physical
disks, but will configure only three for the cluster. The other three will
be used as mirror disks configured in the HSZ controller. I need to create
locations for 52 files ranging in size from 2 MB to 760 MB.

My questions range from, when do you use a striped volume? Should I create
multiple volumes to correspond with each file? How do I refer to the
tablespace when I do the create, /dev/rvol/vol01, /dev/rdrd/drd1, or
something else? Yes, these questions may not have anything to do with what
I need to accomplish, but this is how confused I am.

Any examples of volprint, SQL scripts, setup information, or configuration
"cook books" you have will be greatly appreciated. The Oracle side is in
good shape, I just need to know how to get it created on the cluster disks.
 I have figured out the LSM configuration commands but can't figure out how
the DRD and LSM relate to each other.

Thanks.

w-
Wendy Fong
wfong_at_synacom.com
408.296.0303

UNIX is very user friendly, it's just very particular about who it makes
friends with.