SUMMARY: 4.0d , 4.0F and ev6 machines

From: Darrell King <darrellk_at_altion.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:39:35 +0100

Thanks !

***************Original
Message**********************************************
We have just purchased a new server DS20. This shipped with 4.0F. The
problem is this we run our product on 4.0d and 4.0f may cause extra hassel
of compiling on one machine not running on other. Even though it may work we
would have to do a lot of testing.
I would like to put 4.0d onto this new server, problem is Compaq say they
have only tested this machine as far back as 4.0E. and basically i would
lose support. They also told me they do not ship an older version with a new
machine, Is this true?.
*
In the end I had to send the DS20 back and get an AS1200 with 4.0d. This had
the least amount of complications for us...

4.0d won't work on a DS20 since it has neither support
for the new 21264 (aka EV6) cpu, nor for the crossbar
switch implementing tsunami chipset.

Oth, tru64 unix engineering says that 4.0f is binary
compatible with 4.0e which is binary compatible with
4.0d. So continue to compile on 4.0d and run it on 4.0d,
4.0e and 4.0f. Should there arise a problem, escalate
it to your Tru64 suppport.

It certainly is true that DEC will not support an EV6 system running an O/S
prior to 4.0E. The EV6
chips are a new processor technology. I'm not a machine language
programmer but I'd expect things to be very different at that level on an
EV6.

The DS20 is not supported by Digital UNIX 4.0D - there is no hardware
support in that version for the EV6 processor. 4.0E or later is
required. So no, they won't put an older version of the OS on it
because it won't work. You will need an older system if you need to
build on 4.0D.

Further, code compiled on DU4.0F is not guaranteed to work on DU4.0D.
Forward compatibility exists, but not reverse.

the first release of Tru64 supporting EV6 processors
(like GS140/DS20 etc...) has been V4.0E .

V4.0E is exactly the same operating system as V4.0D plus
hardware/processor specific support for EV6 .
There should be no reason why your application won't
run on V4.0E if it does run on V4.0D.

Darrell King
Systems Manager
+353 1 6142430