Mirrored advFS backups

From: <JBeck_at_CareWiseInc.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:25:22 -0700

8200, 4.0d PK2, ASE, LSM

I've got several advanced filesystem domains on mirrored LSM volumes
that I'd like to backup by breaking the mirrors, doing a vdump,
and then reattaching the removed plex for resyncing. Something along
the lines of:
   umount /filesystem
   volplex dis plex2
   mount /filesystem
   volmake -Ufsgen vol backup plex2
   volume start backup
Now I'd need to mount the quiescent filesystem (if that's possible) and
do a vdump, so I think I need to:
   mkdir /etc/fdmns/newdomain
   ln -s /dev/vol/rootdg/backup /etc/fdmns/newdomain/backup
   mount newdomain#oldfilesetname /mnt
If that works, then I'd issue a vdump command followed by:
   volplex -f dis plex2
   voledit rm backup
   volplex att original_volume plex2

Does anyone know if this will work? DEC recommends using cloning for
AdvFS, but with a mirrored volume, the clone already exists. I'm not
sure what sorts of advfs metadata stuff exists on the volumes, whether
I can just create a new domain as suggested above and have a successful
mount. I think someone asked this question last month but I didn't
see a summary. TIA

Jeff Beck
jbeck_at_carewiseinc.com
206.749.1878