HELP!! FW upgrade failed

From: Lundberg, Harald <harald.lundberg_at_tekla.fi>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:56:49 +0300

Hi Managers!

Well, the subject says most of it: We have an AlphaStation 500/333,
which used to run FW 5.0, and then we upgraded it to 5.3, everything
went smooth. Then we upgraded it to 5.4, we got the following error:

Apu-> update
APU-I ARE YOU READY TO PROGRAM (SRM ) ROM DEVICE ? (Y/N) y
APU-I PRECHARGING (SRM ) ROM DEVICE
APU-I ERASING (SRM ) ROM DEVICE
APU-I PROGRAMMING (SRM ) ROM DEVICE
WARNING: Rom 1 Pgm Fail, Offset 0x28d5b, Exp 0x50, Act 0x40
Apu->

before rebooting, "show" said:

Apu-> Show
*** ROM: SRM
Firmware = AS600_SRM
Version = v7.0-10
*** ROM: ARC /AlphaBIOS
Firmware = AS600_ARC
Version = 4.57
Apu->

Well, after this the machine is completely silent, except for the
power-on
led and the fan.... I know there is something called a "miniconsole" to
handle this kind of cases, but couldn't find anything more about it.

Has anybody seen this happen, what can we do? Or is it just
"call compaq"?

Pls. reply to me, I'm currently not subscribed.

Regards, Harald Lundberg