ES40 external disk problem

From: Joe Pasko <pasko_at_scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 16:22:02 -0500

We just purchase 2 ES40's. (4-CPU 500Mhz, 8Gb ram/ea), and one of our
scientist wishes to connect an external 4 pack of Seagate Barracuda
drives to the second SCSI bus (ST1917WD barracuda 9G) on one of the
systems.

Connection is made via a scsi5 (looks like a mini 68pin centronics to
68pin scsi3 connector)

The bios doesn't recognize the drives as existing from the prom monitor.

For giggles, I connected a new 47Gb external drive (ST446452W 47G
5400rpm drive) via the same cables and the BIOS recognizes the new
drive without a hitch.

The 4pack of SCSI drives were working for months attached to an HP
server, so the disks work, the ID's aren't in conflict, but still the
compaq bios doesn't show them at all. I've swapped terminators,
checked jumpers, but am coming up empty.

Any/All suggestions welcome.

Joe Pasko
Operations Manager
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute      pasko_at_scri.fsu.edu
Phone (850) 644-0193                               FAX   (850) 644-0098