SUMMARY: Accessing DLT7000 _at_ non-default density

From: Massimo Gais <mgais_at_na.astro.it>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 13:30:57 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, I asked this:

> Hello osf/du/tru-64 managers,
>
> I added to an AlphaServer 2100 a DLT tape,
> HP SureStore 70, recognized by the system as QUANTUM DLT7000.
>
> I'd like to know what is the rule to create the /dev/rmt??
> so that I can access the device at the different tape density.
>
> Now my /dev/rmt4? look like this:
>
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root system 9,3078 Dec 21 17:10 rmt4a
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root system 9,3074 Dec 22 08:26 rmt4h
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root system 9,3072 Dec 22 08:31 rmt4l
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root system 9,3076 Dec 21 17:10 rmt4m
>
> but it seems that whatever is the last letter of the device I
> can write only at 35 GB compressed (of course after rewinding the tape).
>
> I could see also that even in a Digital CD with h/w documentation
> about a lot of stuff, "Digital" DLT comes with instructions to
> configure it on Sun/Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, but not for DU/Tru64.
> Why?

The general answer was to edit the ddr.dbase file, after
a deep reading of ddr_config man pages.
Eventually in my case I could adapt the DLT8000 config.

I also browsed the HP web site to look more info about the unit
and I found that the DLT7000 is "not available" for DU, i.e.
you have to make some handwork to make it fully working.

My solution is to go with the default setting and densities,
and eventually later to move it to an auxiliary Linux server.
On the linux box I have also a wide-scsi available (not present
on my DU machine) so I could improve also xfer speed.

Regards

Massimo Gais <mgais_at_na.astro.it>
----
                          "True programmers never die,