SUMMARY: Default routes on 4.0F

From: Stuart Hartley <stuart.hartley_at_jewson.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:06:14 +0000

Hi all,

Thanks to Leonardo Mosquera and Guy Loucks for the answer to this one.

I had actually read the solution on this list before but obviously my memory
is a little unreliable.

The "solution" is

******

There's something wrong with Unix V4.0x in that it will accept a RIP
update even if you don't have routed or gated running. Compaq says this
is 'normal' but all it does is cause problems for me. Here's the
workaround Compaq provided to me...it's a pain to have to remember to do
this each time you gen the operating system but at least it works.

Hope this helps.

Larry

1) Logon as root
2) dbx -k /vmunix
3) dbx> patch icmp_rejectcodemask=0x20
4) dbx> q

You're done. Basically you've told Unix to ignore ICMP redirects. Each
time you re-gen your kernel you'll have to re-patch it. I've done this
on several of my V4.0D and V4.0F systems - it stops the routing problem
without causing any other problems - at least here at my shop.

*****

Tried it and it works fine....

Thanks again

Stuart Hartley