SUMMARY: Problems with class scheduling

From: Bob Vickers <bobv_at_dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:36:44 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Tru64ers,

Only one person replied, but he was extremely helpful. Tom Webster
says that he too found that the class daemon kept on falling over, so
he wrote a cron job to run every 5 minutes to make sure it was still
alive. He also said that the enabled status seemed to be magically
retained across system reboots.

I have a suspicion that the resilience of the daemon is related to how
often it is configured to check class CPU usage. Initially I used the
default 1 second interval and the daemon would only stay up for a few
minutes. I switched to 5 seconds and so far (nearly a day) it has
stayed up. Tom says he uses 3 seconds and sees occasional failures.

Despite these problems Tom says the scheduling works pretty well on
their system which is a primarily batch environment with some
interactive Matlab users as well. My goals are different:
(1) stop netscape gobbling up all the CPU power it can lay its hands on
(2) allow a research group to fund an extra CPU and have priority
access to the extra power they have bought.

I still have some concerns, though I think they can be lived with:
(1) runclass ought to have a switch which allows you to run the
program even if class scheduling is disabled.
(2) runclass ought to document its exit status.
(3) the security on runclass is very weak. Any user can use it to
switch to a class with a lower CPU ration, which might be attractive
if nobody else is using that class. I think the administrator should
be able to configure each class whether runclass is allowed on it.