SUMMARY: How to get system prompt (>>>) upon power up ?

From: Michael Nguyen <mnguyen_at_scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:53:51 -0800 (PST)

Wow, you guys and gals are awsome. My system is flooded with 30+ and counting answers.
I'm really appreciated all the help. Thank you all very much !

I enclosed 6 solutions below.
I have a "PC-look" Compaq Professional Workstation XP1000 (model SN-E2F6W-32)
and solution #2 works well for me:

Upon power up, my system flashed "VGA BIOS ..." message, then the "BIOS Simulation ..." message.
After the system displays banner "Compaq Professional Workstation XP1000 blah blah";
I typed in CNTRL-C and the system gives me the SRM prompt (>>>).

mnguyen_
Michael Nguyen, System Analyst
mnguyen_at_scripps.edu

Original question:

> I'm new with Digital UNIX and just got a new Compaq Tru64 UNIX system.
> Upon power up, the system just booted from DISK and booted to MULTI-user level.
>
> Currently, I cannot login at multi-user level due to some configured problems.
> If I have the system prompt; I can use ">>> boot -fl s "to boot single user;
> then I can correct the problems.
> I cannot use "shutdown" because I cannot login right now.
>
> I need to have the system prompt (>>>) upon power-up somehow.
> As in other platform, I can type some keys like "L1-a" or "Stop-a" upon power-up to get to the system prompt.
>
> Q. How can I get the system prompt (>>>) upon power up ?
>
> - It seems like the system was configured to boot from the disk and boot to multi-user level already.
> I tried a numbers of combinations of key-strokes like ESC and Break but it didn't work.

1. HALT button:
   Some systems come with a RESET, a HALT button or BOTH buttons
   somewhere in front of system or at Operator Control Panel:

   - The HALT button is the triangle-in-a-circle symbol.
   - The RESET button is the no-quite-closed loop/arrow.

   - If the HALT button is HELD IN during boot (for older models) or
     PUSHED IN before boot (on newer models the switch is a toggle, it should STAY depressed )
     the system will override the auto_boot setting and give you the SRM prompt (>>>).

   - Pushing the HALT button while the system is running tends to
     bring the machine down to the >>> prompt quickly and violently.

2. CTRL-C:
   Try a CTRL-C during boot up.
   Try a RIGHT cltr (this seemed to make a difference for us)

3. CTRL-P:
   On some servers model, use CTRL-P either during booting,
   or at a serial console, should give you the >>> prompt.

4. Jumper on Motherboard:
   If your system has a reset but doesn't have the halt button,
   it /may/ have a jumper on the motherboard to change the reset button to a halt button.
   Check your user guide or call hardware support to find out.

5. Disconnect boot disk:
   If everything else failed and you became truly desparated;
   you could power off the machine, open the box and disconnect the boot drive.
   Power ON the system, you should have the >>> prompt.

   Once you have the >>> prompt, use the following command to disable the autoboot
   until your problem is fixed.

>>> set auto_action halt

6. SET CONSOLE VARIABLES:

   There are two console variables that determine auto action. These are
auto_action and boot_osflags. The first can be set to such things as halt or
boot. The second is the default boot flags, for multi-user start-up this is
set to a.

- To disable the autoboot sequence (system give you the SRM prompt upon power-up):

>>> set auto_action halt

- To enable the autoboot sequence (system auto boot upon power-up):
  (boot or restart : depending on model)

>>> set auto_action boot
>>> set auto_action restart

- To check current setting: