FWD: Netscape server crash during startup

From: Mike R. Smith <SMITHMR_at_Bowater.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:53:36 -0500

My apologies, someone was in the office talking to me and I hit the send
button before including contact information:

Michael Smith
(864)282-9235
smithmr_at_bowater.com

Thank you for any assistance.

attached mail follows:

Hi all,

I have a tru64 4.0d alphaserver 800 running a netscape webserver used to
access an EDI application on the unix box. This box had been up for a
months so I tuned some params and rebooted. The server did not come
back. I spent quite a bit of time with the application vendor on
yesterday and what we have found is, when the server is started from the
startup script in /sbin/rc3.d it starts and then immediately terminates.

I can come in right after the system is fully up, shut the thing down,
completely (it seems to come halfway up) and then run the same command
or the script as the user and it works every time. I never noticed this
problem before. I reset all tuning params back to what they were.

I even renumbered this startup script so that it is the very last thing
to come up. Still it will not start during the startup process but only
manually after machine is up.

Any ideas on why this process would start and immediately two seconds
later terminate at the very end of system startup but will run fine if
executed manually from the script or by hand after su to user.

Here is the startup script:

# Start the netscape server automatically
#
/usr/netscape/suitespot/https-NODENAME/start
su - entsys -c "ediswit -l"