SUMMARY: can i disallow telnets per user?

From: Roy, Kim <kroy_at_ss.ca.gov>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:15:41 -0800

I got several responses and thank you to all. The response that worked for
me was simply specifying /bin/false as the user's shell. I knew about this
shell, but I did not know it would only disallow telnets and not ftp's. But
I tested it and it does exactly that. Thanks to everyone!

Below are snippits of the responses I received:

***
>From Chad:

1. They can't telnet in if their valid shell is /bin/false (or /bin/true)
2. Look at TCPwrappers.
***
>From Miguel:

Tipically setting /bin/false as the user's shell will do
the trick. Just make sure /bin/false is included in /etc/shells.
***
>From Matt:

Just give the users /bin/false for a shell. For those that you want to be
able to ftp in, make a copy of /bin/false (/bin/false-ftp or something)
and put it into /etc/shells. Those with /bin/false won't be able to log
in or use ftp, and those with /bin/false-ftp can use ftp but can't log in.
***
>From Glenda:

Just use Host.allow to allow or deny users to use telnet.
You will have to go by IP addresses to determine each user.
***
>From Larye:

Install tcp-wrappers (tcpd) and configure daemon/client pairs in the
/etc/hosts.deny file for specific users at specific hosts, or whole
host/domain patterns.
Get TCP wrappers from:

ftp://cert.org/pub/tools/tcp_wrappers/
***
>From Andrea:

Hy,
if you want that some users can connect only via ftp and not via
telnet and/or ssh or similar just change in the /etc/passwd the
shell field of the user to /bin/false
Also add the /bin/false in the shell file /etc/shells
***

Kim Roy
UNIX Consultant, ITD