[summary] Creating accounts in bulk

From: George A. Dowding <dowdingg_at_math.uaa.alaska.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:37:31 -0900 (AKST)

Greetings,

Apologies for being long overdue. Sometime last month I asked some
questions about creating accounts in bulk. My two main problems were
that I could not specify the password while creating the account, and
I could not change nis passwords even whil logged in as root.

* To answer to the second question first:

The consensus was that I should be able to change passwords
and that I was probably running with C2/enhance security.

* For the first question I got an overwhelming number of responces. Many
people wrote their own scripts to manipulate the nis source files
using perl.

Richard Westlake suggested using cvs to keep track of versions
of the passwd file.

Through corespondence with Cindy Smith I determined that there
is something wrong with the way yppasswd runs because it includes the
"prpasswd" source file. Even hand starting rpc.yppasswdd, I was still
unable to change passwords without knowing the password.

Lisa Kim, who is working on Account Management tools for
Tru64, pointed out that useradd on Tru64 version 5 supports the -p
argument to set the password when creating accounts. She also
mentioned that they are investigating bulk account tools.

Thanks to all who responded:

        Graham Allan
        Cyndi Smith
        Richard Westlake