SUMMARY: How to make a bootable disk

From: Lars Bro <lbr_at_nettest.dk>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 18:04:52 +0100

Hi, managers.

My question was how to make a hard drive bootable from AdvFS. Unfortunately
I was a little imprecise in my posting as the syntax I had used was actually
completely invalid as was kindly noticed by Dr. Blinn. However, the answers
I got revealed that someone at least had the same problem but nobody were
able to tell the precise circumstances.

The problem seems to be that there needs to be "something" on the disk in
advance.

The following commands provide me with an erased label on the disk and a
label file with well defined contents:

# disklabel -z rz13
# disklabel -rw rz13 BB0911CA0
# disklabel rz13 > rz13.lbl
# disklabel -z rz13

Now, the following will not work:
# disklabel -R -r -t advfs rz13 /tmp/rz13.lbl BB0911CA0

But the following will work:
# disklabel -rw rz13 BB0911CA0
# disklabel -R -r -t advfs rz13 /tmp/rz13.lbl BB0911CA0

I cannot tell why but this seems to be the matter on AS1200/DU4.0f pk2 at
least.

And that may be the reason why people have seen it work and then suddenly
not work and then maybe after mocking around long enough, it suddenly works
again.

Thank you very much, all of you (in order of my mail system): Tom Blinn,
Alan Davis, Serguei Patchovskij, Sean O'Connell, Mary Freesmeyer, Adel
Kamal, Andrija Pantovic, Nikola Milutinovic, Clemens Vonrhein.

BTW: Another simple solution is to use mkfdmn -r. It should do the job and
we always need a root domain on a boot disk anyway. Thanks Adel and Nikola.
--
What does a     Lars Bro
process need    GN Nettest A/S
  |  ( v )      +45 72 11 24 05 (direct)