SUMMARY: ASE 1.5, SCSI length and Network devices

From: Michalis Kabrianis <sysadm_at_asyk.ase.gr>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:50:58 +0200 (EET)

I'ld like to thank Andrija Pantovic and Udo de Boer for their answers.

Andrija made clear that I have to use FiberChannel (thus changing the
controllers).
As far as I know, FiberChannel is used on version 1.6 and upwards, so
unfortunately it's not an option (it's extremely difficult to change OS
version).

Michalis Kabrianis
Computer Systems Management
Systems Management & Operations Dept.
ASYK S.A.

Original question follows:

Hi Managers,

I'll come straigh to the point:
There is a ASE (1.5) with two members (Alpha800, DU4.0D) sharing two disks.
These have 2 network cards each, connected to different switches (same VLAN
though).

There is another Alpha800, DU4.0D with two (similar) disks, in a site about 500
meters away. This is in the same LAN as the cluster (connected through Fiber
optics).

The questions are:

1) Can I use SCSI to FO adapters, to add all four disks in one SCSI chain, or
am I limited by the maximum SCSI cable length? The idea is to add the third
Alpha800 as a member to the cluster, and have LSM mirroring along sites.
As I understand that, the Fiber Optic should not be added to the cable length,
but I have not tried it ever, and do not know the theory about that.

2) Can I configure the second network card for client access? And if the answer
is yes, then will there be failover between network interfaces on the same
host? (or else, it's quite useless, and I would definitely prefer to use them
as inter-cluster communication).

Thanks in advance