How to copy the security database from 4.0x to 5.0?

From: Thomas Leitner <tom_at_radar.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:53:44 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

We are running a mix of 4.0x and 5.0 installations here with enhanced
security but without NIS. I'm managing user accounts on one machine and
simply copying the user account data (files in /tcb/files, /var/tcb/files,
/etc/auth) to the other machines with a small shell script.

This works great between 4.0x machines. However under Tru64 5.0, the
format of the files apparently have changed.

I've tried "convauth -d p" but this does not work. I think that one
possible way would be to export all user profiles with edauth on the 4.0
machines and import them with edauth on the 5.0 machine.

Has anyone already come up with a method (or probably a small script) how
to copy the user account data from a 4.0x to a 5.0 machine?

Thanks // Tom
Dr. Tom Leitner                             Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology,
e-mail    : tom_at_radar.tu-graz.ac.at         Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to pgp-public-keys_at_keys.pgp.net
    Before we have the paperless office, we have the paperless toilet!