SUMMARY - ES40 500Mhz recall?

From: <Jim.Anderson_at_trizetto.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 11:06:14 -0500

the question:

Got a call from my FE last week. I have an ES40 with dual EV6 500's. He says
there's a problem with the processors I have and they need to be replaced. Not
urgent enough for emergency downtime but does need to be taken care of before
the end of the month. I'll be getting more info and I'll share it with the
list. Anyone else had a similar call?

the answer:

There are two Field Change Orders. They are:

00-ES40 F001

Problem Statement -

Mixing of ES40 CPU EV6 V2.3, 54-30158-03/05 modules with ES40 CPU EV6 V2.5,
54-30158-A3/A5 modules is prohibited.

Symptoms -
 N/A

Solution -
Replace ES40 CPU EV6 V2.3, 54-30158-03/05 modules with ES40 CPU EV6 V2.5,
54-30158-A3/A5 modules.

The other is more interesting. It involves the motherboard

00-ES40 F002

Problem Statement -

ES40 EV6 systems with Rev D system motherboards are experiencing intermittent
hangs and memory errors.

ES40 EV67 SMP upgrades are scheduled to begin shipment in November 1999. ES40
EV6 customers choosing to upgrade to EV67 are required to have a minimum system
motherboard revision of E0.

Now, there's nother more. But the title is listed as "ES40 - CSB Rev D to Rev
E". So, sounds like to me that if you have a Rev D motherboard, you need the
change. Just checked www.service.digital.com. there's a pdf doc on the
processor upgrade. the part number and rev of the motherboard is between the
CPU0 and CPU1 sockets. Says you need to pull CPU0 to get to it. Here's the
link: http://www.digital.com/info/alphaserver/es40/es40_cpu_upgrade.pdf

so, there it is....

Jim