dual NIC trouble

From: Rolf Habing <r.j.habing_at_canterbury.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 12:45:46 +0000

hello,

I'm trying to install a second network card on an AS1000A 4/233 running
Tru64Unix 5.0. The first card is an DE500 and is on a primary PCI slot.
The second card is an DE435 and is on an secondary slot. Each of the
cards work fine by themselves. But, when both are in the alpha, only the
DE435 works. Both cards are visible at the console, as ewa and ewb.

I have tried other permutations, but always the card on the primary slot
refuses to work.
If they're both on a secondary slot, still only one works.
I've also tried a second DE435 instead of the DE500, with the same
effects.

Do I need to recompile the kernel with special parameters? (it is a
fresh installation, done after both cards were installed in the
machine.)
Is there some command at the console level that I've forgotten?

I'm rather stuck and would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Rolf Habing
Canterbury Christ Church University College