Bad ECU config w/Alpha 2100 & Qvision VGA

From: Rice, William <RICEWI_at_mail.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:57:10 -0500

All,
I was unable to get a UNIX 4.0D OS CD GUI to come up on an Alpha2100RM 5/250
with an EISA Qvision VGA card.
It made it all the way to initiating the xserver, then I got a pretty
colored square as the monitor cursor & nothing else.
I tried a different monitor and going to UNIX 4.0F OS CD to make sure the
Qvision was supported. All acted the same way, all the way to a single
cursor square...

I ran ECU to verify the VGA card config, it looked good, a Qvision on Bus1,
Slot 5.
I then edited that entry (the only entry) to attempt to deselect the
graphics support.
ECU responded that it needed to make that entry the secondary graphics, I
okayed and then saved the new config...

BTW, yes, the monitor plugged into the Qvision shows nothing now, no console
prompt, nada...
Will insertion of a second VGA card, not a Qvision, stand a chance of
getting a display on the monitor?
Any suggestions on a fix?
Thanks
Bill