xntp3-5.93 and DU 4.0D: kernel bug?

From: Mark T. Logan <mlogan_at_ccs.neu.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:37:42 -0500 (EST)

I recently built and installed xntp3-5.93 (available at
ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/ntp3/xntp3-5.93.tar.gz) on several machines
running digital unix 4.0D. My troubles began while attempting to see
if it had started properly. (my initial attempts resulted in xntpd puking
immediately). However, when I got what I thought was a working build, i
ran 'top' to look at the process, and top froze. 'kill <pid>' had no effect.
'kill -9 <pid>' had no effect.

A lot of other strange things started happening at this point. Occasionally
when I started xntp, it would appear to run normally. Other times, it would
be impossible to start any kind of new shell on the machine. telnet sessions
would get as far as displaying the banner, and then hang when it tried to
start the shell. (zsh in this case). System binaries like /bin/ls and
/bin/w would freeze and become unkillable. The only remedy was to reboot the
machine.

Anyway, the only conclusion that my coworkers and I could come to was that it
was tickling a kernel bug somehow... Anybody else had this experience? Know
what causes it?

Thanks,
Mark Logan
mlogan_at_ccs.neu.edu