How can I add "new lines" in a large file ?

From: Sweatt, Wayne <sweatt_at_dps.state.nm.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:46:58 -0700

I have just received a 19MB file containing ascii text.
It contains no CR/LF - new lines.
"wc -l" returns a '"0".
It has a repeating pattern marking the beginning of each new line.
I tried to sed substitute this pattern with a prepended '\n', but it
just ran forever. I had to kill it.
It appears that sed can't handle a file that large.

What method can I use to insert these new lines ?
Each line is also a fixed length.
I think the fact that it is 19MB causes a problem.

Thanks,
Wayne Sweatt
Principal Software Analyst
Litton / PRC