Time drifting

From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys_at_rit.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:57:06 -0500

I need some help from the experts.

We just put a few new machines into production. Rather than load the OS
fresh, we restored / and /usr from backup onto a new drive and then this
became the system disk in the new server. The old system was a 4100 and
the new is an ES40. The problem is that we're loosing time on the new
server - about 7 minutes per hour.

In order to isolate the problem, we ran two tests:
- Brought the system up in single-user mode with only / mounted.
Checked the time (it was correct), waited about 40-45 minutes and
checked the time. It was off by about 6 minutes.
- Halted the system. Waited 20 minutes. Brought it up into single-user
mode. Checked the time. It was exactly correct.

We're having the problem on three new systems. The conversion process
was the same for all three although the hardware is different on one of
the new systems. I only was able to run the above tests on one system.

Any ideas? Is there something in the kernel which impacts clock speed?
Is there some difference in the hardware that needs to be accouted for?

Thanks.
Teresa