SUMMARY Re: V5.0 login, ls and pine problem

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:50:24 +0200 (MET DST)

I reported on an ls problem (ls as user other than root unable to list
usernames and listing userid) and pine problem (pine as user other than root
unable to start). Problem is now solved :

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Joerg Bruehe wrote:

> Might also be a problem with the C library - if you use a version
> which is not NIS-capable, it might behave that way (un-educated personal
> guess).

> Probably the same reason, but I have no knowledge about NIS and its way
> of reading.

> With a stand-alone installation, I would suspect you lack the "read"
> permission(s) on '/etc/passwd' - must have all three 'r's set.

Your "uneducated guess" was right, and even with NIS !

I went to the machine wanting to check another suggestion, and to assign a
password to a local test account I created. I noticed that passwd was indeed
strangely rw-------. I edited it to allow full login under the test account, I
logged in, changed the password and ... pine was running, and ls -aFl working.

And they were working also under the NIS accounts.

And the protections of /etc/passwd had become rw-r--r--. I never changed the
protections explicitly. I presume that they'd got somehow set to rw------ by
the security level change business, and reset to the right values by the
passwd command.

Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
Non reproducible errors will be considered as not occurred