summary: Upgrade to V4.0f - disk space required.

From: <anthony.miller_at_vf.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:27:11 +0100

Many thanks to Dr Tom for the attached information:

> I am planning our V4.0f upgrades (from V4.0d). I have two questions:
>
> 1. How much disk capacity (peak utilisation) will an update installation
> take? I cant see this information anywhere. The release notes list the
> total size of the kit, rather than the size of the upgrade?

The exact amount depends on too many factors, such as exactly what subsets
you
have installed on system to start with, etc. For the most part, it's not
too
bad, since most existing files are simply over-written with the new ones on
file by file basis (the files are copied from the update media to the system
disk using the "pax" utility, one file at a time, so old files are replaced
by
new files). If you are running on AdvFS file systems (no "overdraft"
provided
by the file system for use by the superuser, unlike UFS) and you are running
at close to 100% in either root or /usr or /var (if it's separate), then you
might have a problem. But you'd have problems sooner or later anyway.

> 2. With regard to advfs utilities, do I need to delete this prior to the
> V4.0f upgrade? The table in installation guide does not mention this, but
> seem to remember from upgrade to V4.0e that I had to delete it first.

It would be prudent to remove the AdvFS utilities before the update and then
re-install them after. But I don't think it's a "you MUST do this" case.
It
depends on what is in the AdvFS utilities kit, and if there's any overlap in
the AdvFS utilities kit with the base OS contents.

Thanks everybody.

Regards - Tony