Tru64 UNIX V5.0A update kits should be shipping about now..

From: Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646 <tpb_at_doctor.zk3.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:23:47 -0400

Since some of you have asked..

I have received my "internal delivery" binary and documentation updates
for Tru64 UNIX V5.0A, and we are now installing Tru64 UNIX V5.0A at the
Compaq factory for new Alpha systems that are ordered with UNIX. This
is the release that provides general availability of the new TruCluster
software that REALLY looks and feels more like OpenVMS clustering, for
those of you who were looking for that capability. (Using TruCluster
has hardware requirements, such as MemoryChannel, so it's not really
for everyone yet..)

If you have a media update service agreement, your kits should show up
"real soon now" (a service mark?). If you do not, but order a new kit,
you should receive Tru64 UNIX V5.0A as the current version. I can not
say from formal knowledge whether the "non-commercial" product will be
switching over right away to the V5.0A media kit, but I would expect it
to do so sooner or later (probably sooner).

The V5.0A documentation should be accessible through the Tru64 UNIX web
site in the logical place (I won't try to give you the exact URL, since
we want you to browse around when you visit :^).

We are essentially complete in the development of Tru64 UNIX V4.0G, but
we will not submit it for manufacturing right away. It will be loaded
on the "GS" series systems initially, and be available for all systems
at the time of release (according to the plan), and it will be the last
planned release in the V4.0x stream of releases.

We are actively working on a "5.1" release to be out later this year, if
you need more information for planning purposes, contact your local sales
agents and ask them to get it for you (or watch the web site and look for
a major product announcement real soon).

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn + UNIX Software Group + Compaq Computer Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/W17 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 884-0646
    Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Compaq's Easynet: alpha::tpb
     ACM Member: tpblinn_at_acm.org PC_at_Home: tom_at_felines.mv.net

  Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.

      Keep your stick on the ice. -- Steve Smith ("Red Green")

     My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
                                -- Phil Agre, pagre_at_alpha.oac.ucla.edu

     Yesterday it worked / Today it is not working / UNIX is like that
                        -- apologies to Margaret Segall

  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.