Ip fragmentation

From: John Thorp <jathorp_at_servalan.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 12:16:24 +0100

Thanks to the people who replied. The main idea was to get the network
people to change the routers to allow the larger packet size again. This
they say they are unwilling/unable to do. The answer was given by Jeffrey
Mogul who surgested changing the inet: pmtu_enabled flag to 0. This seems to
have worked fine.

John Thorp
We have a number of alpha workstations connected via FDDI. Over Easter the
network people changed the routers to not pass packets with an MTU greater
than 1500. This means that non of our FDDI machines which have the MTU value
set to 4352 can now talk across the router.

The network people say that all packets from our machines have the do not
fragment bit set so they hare being dropped. Is there any settings to allow
our machines to send packets out with this bit not set or any other way
(other than changing the MTU value which we really don't want to do) to
allow our packets to go via the new network routers?