Sendmail Configuration Question: General Purpose Relay

From: Bruce B. Platt <bbp_at_comport.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:23:06 -0400

When using the "mailsetup" script, one is shown the following:

"Most sites should define a general relay. If your host cannot
resolve how to deliver a mail message, the mail is forwarded to
this general relay for processing.

Do you wish to add a general purpose relay ([y]/n) ?"

I have always used this to indicate that I want mail from my mail hub for
our domain
to be forwarded to our firewall for transmission to addresses outside of
the domain.

I am not a sendmail configuration expert.

I would like to have two general purpose relays so that mail will be sent
to either of two firewalls if
one becomes unavailable. (The firewalls we use have an smtp proxy so that
for mail to go outside of
our domain, our mail hub has to make an explixit connection to the firewall)

How would one configure what is Rule 0 in sendmail.cf to allow for this. (
I say Rule 0) as this is the only
rule in which the "general purpose relay" name appears?

Regards, and I will sumarize.

Bruce B. Platt, Ph.D. Vice-President
Comport Consulting Corporation
78 Orchard Street
Ramsey, NJ 07446
Phone: 201-236-0505 Fax: 201-236-1335
bbp_at_comport.com, bruce.platt_at_comport.com, bruce_at_comport.com
OR, bruce_at_bbplatt.com