Netscape Enterprise Server 3.6

From: Paul Crittenden <crittend_at_storm.simpson.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:02:29 -0500

Hi,

I have several questions regarding the above software.

At this point, I am going through the process of ordering a certificate to
have a secure server. The version of the server that came with our latest
server is 3.6SP1 (UNIX Intl.). When I generate a CSR using this server, it
generates a 512 bit key. VeriSign recommends creating a 1024 bit key when
possible because of "known vulnerabilities with keys up to this length"
according to the page where you copy the CSR into...

I know that the most current version of the Enterprise Server in the 3.6
line is 3.6SP3. Does anyone know if this patch would allow me to create a
1024 bit key? (I know that the US has eased restrictions on security
related software going off shore and was wondering if a patch was released
after that point.) If the patch does allow for the creation of 1024 bit
keys, does anyone know where I could download the patch from? (I looked on
Netscape's as well as IPlanet's web site without any success.)

If the patch doesn't allow for the creation of a 1024 bit key, has anyone
been able to get a version of the software from Compaq/Netscape that is for
domestic servers and/or can create the longer keys? If so, please let me
know what I would have to do to possibly get it.

Finally, I do have the Open Source Internet Solutions for Tru64 UNIX CD. It
does have the FastTrack Web Server 3.01 (export-US) on it... I am curious,
does anyone know if this version supports 1024 bit keys. This CD also has
the admserv-4.2-export-us server, but I don't believe that this is
backwards compatible to the Enterprise Server 3.6x.

Any additional information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Crittenden
Computer System Manager
Simpson College
e-mail: crittend_at_simpson.edu

"If things get any better, I may have to hire someone to
help me enjoy it."