SUMMARY: Will DHCP Server (joind) support subnets?

From: Paul N. Youngblood <youngbp_at_uahis1.uah.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:27:25 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Admins,

Thanks to the following for their VERY FAST responses to my posting,
and my apologies to the list for my failure to post this SUMMARY in
a timely manner. I'm late with it, but here it is.

     Todd B. Acheson <acheson_at_ohiou.edu>
     John P Speno <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu>
     Toby Bluhm <tkb_at_mr.marconimed.com>
     Richard Westlake <r.westlake_at_mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk>
     Dave Tetreault <davet_at_uriacc.uri.edu>

Apparently the reason that we aren't getting ISC's dhcp server to
work correctly with subnets is that I (we) just don't know enough
about configuring dhcp servers and subnets.

>From the responses I received, I get the impression that ISC's dhcp
server is easier (and better) to use than joind. Also, the ISC
server will work correctly with subnets when running on Tru64 UNIX
version 4.0f (and maybe with other 4.0 versions). It may also work
correctly when running on Linux -- we'll find out soon.

Good resourses for help with ISC's dhcp server exist. To start with
there is, of course, the web page: http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/.
You can also subscribe to the mailing list "dhcp-server_at_isc.org".
Join it by going to this web page:
      http://www.isc.org/services/public/lists/dhcp-lists.html
The book "The DHCP Handbook" by Ted Lemon and Ralph Droms is also a
good resource.

I won't know for sure until we get a chance to work on our particular
problem again (see original post below), but two comments are probably
key to a solution. Toby Bluhm said "If the subnets are not routed by
the dhcp server, then you need to setup another box on those nets using
dhcp relay." Dave Tetreault said "Be aware that routers in the path
need to know to pass the dhcp requests to the subnet that the server is
on. In CISCO routers this is known as bootp helper."

I really appreciate the help I got from the five people who responded.
Thank you very much for taking the time!

Paul Youngblood

--- Original Posting --------------------------------

Subject: Will DHCP Server (joind) support subnets?

Hello Admins,

Has anybody had any luck getting joind running on Tru64
UNIX v 4.0x to support subnets? More specifically, I want to
be able to connect a laptop to a specific subnet, have the
dhcp server give it an IP address based on that subnet, and then
later to disconnect the laptop, move it to another subnet, and
have the dhcp server give it a DIFFERENT IP address relative to
that subnet (despite the fact that the laptop's MAC address
has not changed.)

I really need to hear from you if you know that this works.
If it does indeed work, then I'll try using one of my
AlphaServers with Tru64 UNIX to run joind. Currently, our
DHCP server is a Linux box running ISC's dhcp, and we can't
get that to support subnets.

If I get any responses from this list, I'll certainly summarize.
Thank you for your attention.

Paul Youngblood
Information Services
University of Alabama in Huntsville