SUMMARY Re: reading CDs created with HP Easy CD Creator on Alpha

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:22:24 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Lucio Chiappetti ...

... asked about problems reading on Unix CDs created with HP Adaptec Easy CD
Creator. This works perfectly (besides on Win NT and Win 9x) also on Tru64
5.0, gives errors on DU 3.2, and can be read but with short names on Solaris.

> Ideally, if somebody could also give hints about settings to use in Easy CD
> Creator to generate CD's readable on all Unixes, that would be very
> appreciated !

Thanks to Stephen Coates, Tim Janes, Serguei Patchkovskii, Calvin Coghlan,
Anthony A. D. Talltree, Nikola Milutinovic, Simon Greaves for their answers.

(1) The main thing I've learnt is that "Joliet is the extension for Windows
    long name support. Rock Ridge is the extension for Unix long name
    support."

    Of course I knew RR, but I had not realised that Microsoft was using
    Yet Another Proprietary Format (so far, writing CDs on Unix with
    GEAR we'd achieved perfect interoperability with PCs using in .gearrc
    NonIsoNameHandling=3
    AddRockRidgeInfo=TRUE

(2) apparently Tru64 is nowadays one of the best Unixes for this sort of
    interoperability. I quote from the most knowledgeable of the respondents
    "Tru64 v4.0x has a package ADSU, IIRC, that provides some copatability
    with NT, in Tru64 v5.0x it is enhanced greatly from what I have
    read. This allows the Tru64 system to read NT filesystems along with
    other abilities."

    Otherwise said, Tru64 supports both RR *and* Joliet

(3) bad news then. Replies confirm my suspect that Easy CD creator does
    not support RR. (I looked in the docs beforehand and could not find
    it mentioned !)

(4) collected some suggestions about ways of writing "compatible" CDs

    "mkisofs on unix will create CD with both Rockridge & Joliet extensions.
     Hycd (www.hycd.com) will do this on PC ( But it was a horrible piece of
     software and horribly slow)"

     "the absolutely best solution is to use mkhybrid. With the right
     combination of switches (I suggest 'mkhybrid -a -r -J -T -hfs'), it will
     create CD images which, in addition to the ISO9660 8.3 file tree,
     contains RockRidge, Joliet, and Macintosh HFS extended attributes. The
     images can be recorded to blank CDs with cdrecord [...]
     You can download mkhybrid (together with cdrecord) from:
     http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

(5) considered that I am in a hurry to deliver those CDs, that they are
     likely to be used seldom (we deliver also three machines with the s/w
     preloaded), and that the target system will be > 95% Win NT (to use
     the CD as source archive and data backup) , and possibly < 5% Unix
     (unspecified HP-UX and Solaris flavours, only to read a few documentation
     files, ASCII or HTML), I will do nothing now, and consider the
     above suggestions for a future release, if requested.

(6) miscellanea.

     Somebody suggested that the fact I could read the CDs on an Alpha with
     Tru64 5.0 and not on mine with DU 3.2 was due to new and old hardware.

     I'm sort of pleased to say that is NOT the case. Both machines are
     (quite old but nicely functioning) Alpha 255/233 ! In fact the Tru64
     5.0 one was recently upgraded from ... an OpenVMS system. So it is
     actually v5.0 which is better (see point 2 above).

     And yes, I confirm I can read OK CDs with ISO9660/RRIP on DEC OSF/1 3.2
     (that's the way I do my usual backups).

     Finally, I did the CDs (of stuff originally on NT and intended mainly
     for an NT target) on a PC, because I could just prepare in advance
     a directory tree with all my files, move it via shared disk on the
     PC with the CD burner and record it. If I had to do it on Unix, I'd
     to transfer the files "one by one" (or at least carefully check
     long names, verify mixed usage of binary/ascii transfer for data and
     text files etc. etc.)

Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html