From: Antonio Urbano <a.urbano_at_mailcity.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:00:46 +0100

Dear Managers,

Special thanks to
   Dr. Tom Blinn
   Daniel S. Riley
   Paul Casteels

Their answers are at the end of this message.

To sum up, the algorithm is on firmware (I suspected of that) and is the BEB on our cards.

It was suggested to move to full-duplex or install an Ethernet switching. It was also suggested to change the Ethernet cards to some the with Intel or AMD LANCE chipsets.

Thank you.

Best regards
Antonio Urbano
--------------------------------
Tel.: +351 - 22 995 30 00 (ext. 1131)
Fax: +351 - 22 995 50 62
e-mail: a.urbano_at_mailcity.com
--------------------------------

**** MESSAGES ****
-------------------
-- Dr. Tom Blinn -- (2 messages)
-------------------

** 1st message

What leads you to believe that in a real Ethernet network interface this
is implemented anywhere above the level of the firmware embedded in the
adapter card itself? What leads you to believe that you can change it?

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn + UNIX Software Group + Compaq Computer Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/W17 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 884-0646

    Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Compaq's Easynet: alpha::tpb

     ACM Member: tpblinn_at_acm.org PC_at_Home: tom_at_felines.mv.net

  Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.

      Keep your stick on the ice. -- Steve Smith ("Red Green")

     My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
                              -- Phil Agre, pagre_at_alpha.oac.ucla.edu

     Yesterday it worked / Today it is not working / UNIX is like that
                        -- apologies to Margaret Segall

  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.

** 2nd message

My colleague who knows this stuff quite well (he maintains the "tu"
driver and has written the drivers for other Ethernet interfaces for
Tru64 UNIX) comments: