SUMMARY: Oracle Parallel Server

From: Urey, Dawn <UreyD_at_pginw.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 08:42:23 -0400

Thanks to all who responded. The most concise and informative answer came
from Han Pilmeyer who stated the following:

Before V5 we distinguished between TruCluster Available Server and
TruCluster Production Server. The TCR PS version required a memory
channel cluster interconnect and it was required to run Oracle
Parallel Server.

Since V5 clusters we do not distinguish between the two any more. The
product is now called TruCluster Server and it always requires memory
channel as the cluster interconnect.

With V5.0A you still need to use raw volumes (either through LSM or
with disk partitions) when you use Oracle Parallel Server. It is
expected that with Oracle 8.1.7 and the next version of TruCluster
Server, it will be possible to run Oracle Parallel Server on top of
the clustered file system (CFS) using direct I/O.

Essentially the answer is yes to both questions.

Original Question:

We are new to Tru64 and are going to run version 5.0a. We currently run
Oracle databases as well as Oracle Financials. My question is two-fold.
Does Oracle Parallel Server require Trucluster? Is Trucluster necessary for
OPS to use Memory channel?

Dawn

Dawn Urey
Systems and Site Support Manager
PGI IT
(919)874-9512

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. Personal views and opinions expressed in this communication are
those of the originator and may not necessarily reflect those of this
company. If you are NOT the original recipient or the person responsible
for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received
this email in error, please delete it and immediately notify
postmaster_at_pginw.com.