SUMMARY: Accounts problem

From: Hisham Al Saad <ahisham_at_batelco.com.bh>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:40:47 +0300

Thanks to all who replied, the problem was solved within seconds.
rich fitzgerald <raf_at_ezunx.com>
Ivan Hoe <ivanhoe_jack_at_hotmail.com>
Allen Belk <allen.belk_at_gte.net>
Freesmeyer, Mary <mfreesmeyer_at_cvty.com>
Mohd Nayle <nayle_at_ncsbah.com>

Solution :
By default all new accounts created are "locked".
To unlock the accounts we need to change the default "automatic lock" off
by issuing this command
#useradd -D -x administrative_lock_applied=0
or
#usermod -x administrative_lock_applied=0 <user_name>
or
Run /usr/bin/X11/dxaccounts (gui) and unlock the users

Replies :
=======================
From: rich fitzgerald
by default all accounts are created "locked". If you run
"dxaccounts" you will most likely see a "lock" icon next to
the new users. You can unlock them by selecting all the new
accounts and then hit the "unlock" button up top.

You can also use the "usermod" command line -- do a man usermod
to see all the options. You will be better off with "dxaccounts"
however, since you can select all the users to unlock by using
ctrl-right-click.

In the future turn this "automatic lock" off by doing:
useradd -D -x administrative_lock_applied=0
========================
From: Allen Belk
It sounds like your new users' accounts are being locked when they are
created (via a script or dxaccounts). The quick fix for this is to issue
the following command:

usermod -x administrative_lock_applied=0 <user_name>

After this, I would try to find the source of the locking ie. dxaccounts or
a custom script. There may also be a default setting in the system defaults
database that sets this option. Check the man pages on default.
=========================
FROM: Freesmeyer, Mary
go into /usr/bin/X11/dxaccounts (gui) and unlock the users. This is a
common problem when adding new people to this system.
=========================
My Original post was

This might be a typical problem, but it took me several hours to find out
what is the problem with no luck.
I have been given the responsibility to reconfigure a 4100 Alpha Server
running DU4.0E to run as a backup web server for the existing web server.
This Server is used to be a Proxy server with Netscape Proxy Server
installed.
I removed all the unnecessary applications like Netscape Proxy and installed
Apache Web Server 1.3.9 and it installed successfully.
The problem is when I create new users , the system refuses to let them
logon by telnet or even ftp and it comes up with this message if anyone from
the new created accounts tries to ftp :
ftp newproxy1
Connected to newproxy1
220 newproxy1 FTP server (Digital UNIX Version 5.60) ready
User (newproxy1:(none)): test
331 Password required for test.
Password:
530-Account is disabled -- see Account Administrator.
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.