SUMMARY: Problem installing Tru64 UNIX on DS10

From: Gunther Feuereisen <gunther_at_gfh.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:01:45 +1000

Hi,

My original post:
----------------
>I'm trying to sort out a problem installing Tru64 UNIX 5.0A on a DS10.
>
>After the OS is installed, it reboots and then hangs in single user mode with
>the following error:
>Dev Nodes:
>Wrong ldev major (#82,00): /dev/kev: 84
>Wrong ldev major (#82,00): /dev/kev: 84
>Errors 2
>bcheckrc: Device naming failed boot configure or verify. Please correct
>problem and continue or reboot.
>
>Has anyone ever seen this before?
>
>Firmware is 5.7. The user has also tried with 5.0 and 4.0F, with similar
>"weird" results - none of which succeed in installing the OS and rebooting
>correctly. Have also tried installing 5.6 - no success on installation of OS,
>and then reinstalling 5.7. Again, no success in installing the OS. Same
problem
>occurs.
>
>This system was working fine, and has only experience this problem in the
>last week or so (when the user tried to reinstall the OS). They were using
>the system for testing and doing odd things; to what extent is unknown as
>it is a remote site. I have also checked for the obvious SRM variables
>to make sure they have been set correctly.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>gunther

Thanks to:

        Simon Millard <simon.millard_at_barclays.co.uk>

for replying, and special thanks to:

        Tim Mooney <mooney_at_dogbert.cc.ndsu.nodak.edu>

who pointed me in exactly the right direction:

>I have yet to install 5.0a on anything, but the scenario you describe sounds
>exactly like something that's documented in section 3.3.2 of the Release
Notes
>for 5.0a. Did you try the procedure documented there?

I had a look (text from the Release Notes follows) and had one of the onsite
people try it out - and it fixed the problem.

It never occured to me to look back at the Release Notes - as the system had
run 5.0A several times (standalone and clustered) and we'd never had a problem
with it before, it didn't occur to me to go back to the Release Notes.

Anyway, it's all fixed and working fine now. Thank you Tim!!

gunther

Here's the excerpt from the Release Notes for Tru64 UNIX 5.0A: