From: Taylor, Shirley <TaylorSI_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:47:26 -0300

In addition to the following response from Peter Reynolds, I received
that the processors are RISC.
----------------------------------
RISC is an acronym standing for Reduced Instruction Set Computing, and is a
type of CPU. Alpha processors are RISC processors, as are MIPS processors,
SUN processors, IBM processors. I think in your question it basically refers
to all non Intel CPU's. The EV56 refers to a certain family of Alpha chip
(Earlier processors were EV4, EV5, newer processors are EV6, EV67).

Also got this response from Joe Ryals:
There is 2 basic types of processors RISC (reduced instruction set chip)
based
and CISC (complex instruction set chip) based. Alpha Processors are of the
RISC
based variety as is IBM's RISC 6000's, Sun Microsystems Ultra chips, etc.
Intel, Motorola's 68xx and 68xxx line, AMD, etc are based on CISC
architecture
and is commonly referred to as x86 based processors. Sorry to go into more
detail than it is this or that but now you can have a better understanding
of
the 2 types of architectures used in the industry.

Thanks everyone.

Original Question: