Equal swap of spare disk?

From: Galama, Dagmar <Dagmar.Galama_at_nl.origin-it.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 17:26:54 +0200

Hi managers,

Here's a nice configuration-question:
* I have six 9,1GB-disks to install the Unix-environment on.
* Disks are behind a SWXCR-controller
* I need a swap space of 12,5 GB

Now, in my opninion there are two things I can do:

One:
Install Unix on one mirrored disk, using 4GB of swap on its b-partition;
Use one mirrored disk completely for the rest of the swap-space (total swap:
13,1GB);
PRO: this leaves two disks unused, so I can configure them as hot-spare in
the SWXR-controller;
CONTRA: swap is only spread over two disks, and the sizes of the
swap-partitions differ.

Two:
Install unix on one mirrored disk, using 4,3GB of swap on its b-partition;
Use the b-partition of the other disks for 4,3GB swap-partitions (total
swap: 12,9GB);
PRO: swap is spread over three disks, and all partitions are of equal size;
CONTRA: no hot-spares, and disks are not used entirely.

What would you experts suggest? I don't have an insight in the performance
degration when swap-sizes differ, or are spread over two, instead of three
disks.

Any help/suggestion appreciated!

Greetings,

Dagmar Galama

Dagmar Galama
Origin MS-DS OSS Unix System Management
Building VA-171A P.O. Box 218, 5600 MD Eindhoven