SUMMARY - Best way to upgrade hard drives

From: Victoria DeVore <DEVOREV_at_gw.lbcc.cc.or.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:45:15 -0700

I wanted to thank everyone that responded. The response was well received.
 I am managing several servers that run the Oracle rdbms under OpenVMS
opsys and an Oracle web server that runs the colleges administrative
software. The web server is running under Tru64. I do it all(as I am sure
you all are!!). It is sometimes to much to keep in one's brain.

Be as it may, I got some good information. several respondents (alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com; Ernie Gronblom; Sweatt, Wayne; Hummers, Rick)
gave me some great narrative tips and instructions. But, the best response
was from one person, Mandell Degerness. The assumptions were almost right
on and I never expected a step by step procedure. It worked and was very
clear.

bty I AM an old vmser (over 20 years) that is managing VMS and unix, and
soon (6 months) a windows2000 nt server! (yuk!) Thank you again and keep
up the good responses. They are sorely needed by me!!

Victoria DeVore

  Assumptions:
   - swap is on the C partition of swap drive (rz1c)
   - /data1 is on rz2c
   - /data2 is on rz3c
   - new drives are RZ1DF-VA drives

  Procedure
   - get a verified good backup
   - Shut down system.
   - replace swap drive and first data drive (data1).
   - boot single user (boot -fl s)
   - disklabel -rw /dev/rz1c RZ1DF
   - disklabel -rw /dev/rz2c RZ1DF
   - swapon -a <should take care of the swap area>
   - newfs /dev/rz2c
   - mount /dev/rz2c /mnt
   - mount /data2
   - vdump -0f - /data2 | vrestore -xf - -D /mnt
   - umount /mnt
   - umount /data2
   - halt
   - replace original /data1 (mark new disk with data on as DATA2 so
     you don't lose it)
   - put new (blank) disk in /data2 slot (put old /data2 aside)
   - boot single user
   - disklabel -rw /dev/rz3c RZ1DF
   - newfs /dev/rz3c
   - mount /dev/rz3c /mnt
   - mount /data1
   - vdump -0f - /data1 | vrestore -xf - -D /mnt
   - umount /mnt
   - umount /data1
   - halt
   - put NEW data1 and data2 in correct locations
   - boot

     That should do it.

And by God, it did! I was up and running. Impressive!