Problem initializing lsm

From: <mwoods_at_fnal.gov>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:48:30 -0500

I am trying to install LSM on a 2100 with 40D pk2. And running into a bit
of a problem.
Following the instuctions in the fine manual I first run,

/usr/sbin/volinstall

and the machine replies:

LSM: Creating Logical Storage Manager device special files.

Then I issue the command and get the following error:

# /sbin/vold -m disable
lsm:vold: Error: cannot open /dev/volconfig: No such device or address
# ls -l /dev/*vol*
crw-r--r-- 1 root system 41, 0 Aug 21 14:32 /dev/volconfig
crw-r--r-- 1 root system 41, 1 Aug 21 14:32 /dev/volevent
crw-r--r-- 1 root system 41, 3 Aug 21 14:32 /dev/volinfo
crw-r--r-- 1 root system 41, 2 Aug 21 14:25 /dev/voliod

An the ls -l of the dev files shows that they exist and are correct in
ownership and permissions.

I have tried this in multiuser and single users and tried a reboot in
between the creation of the device files
and issueing the vold command, always with the same results.

If it try volsetup I get:

# volsetup rz22
lsm:voliod: cannot open /dev/voliod: No such device or address

Approximate maximum number of physical disks that will be managed by LSM ? [10] 4

Initialize vold and the root disk group:

lsm:vold: Error: cannot open /dev/volconfig: No such device or address

Fatal errors prevent /usr/sbin/volsetup from continuing.
Stop.

I would appreciate any suggestions to help get me over this hurdle.

P.S. The following LSM modules are installed:

# setld -i | grep -i lsm | grep installed
OSFLSMBASE425 installed Logical Storage Manager (System Administration)
OSFLSMBIN425 installed Logical Storage Manager Kernel Modules(Kernel Build Environment)
OSFLSMBINCOM425 installed Logical Storage Manager Kernel Header and Common Files(Kernel Build Environment)
OSFLSMBINOBJECT425 installed Logical Storage Manager Kernel Objects(Kernel Software Development)
OSFLSMX11425 installed Logical Storage Manager GUI (System Administration)
OSFPAT00007301425 installed Patch: LSM volsave Command Correction(Commands, Shells, & Utility Patches)