Summary 2 : CAM SCSI errors on Tru64

From: Ron Bramblett <bramblett_at_fullerbrush.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:16:46 -0500

I forgot to thank everybody on the first summary
Thanks to
         stan <stan_at_astro.temple.edu>
         Lindsay.Wakeman_at_bl.uk (Lindsay Wakeman)
         Selden E Ball Jr <SEB_at_LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU>
and also to:
        Ian Mortimer for previous summary.

I think that I had some good pointers as to where to look for these
errors.
I went and looked at the archives (which I should have done first) what
I found there was this:
       " All said much the same: when this happens frequently or is
persistent it indicates a disk going bad. The recommendation
was to probe the disk with scu so I did:

   $ scu -f /dev/rrz17c
   scu> show defects grown"

This pretty much refers to hard disks only.

The answers that I got back from the list today were basically

    "I am not sure what that error means, but try running a cleaning
tape
through the tape drive in question if its a DLT drive. Also, make sure
the tape cartridge does not have its write protect tab set. If all else
fails, try a different tape cartridge. If that too fails, call for
hardware service. SCSI CAM errors usually refer to a hardware problem."

> Try DECevent (can be downloaded from Compaq site if you haven't got
it).

> When installed, use something like 'dia -R -o full' to give a full
breakdown
> of
> events, in latest-first order
>
> uerf -R -o full | more
> to see details in reverse order. (But Compaq no longer supports uerf)
> or if you've installed DECevent
> ( available at http://www.support.compaq.com/svctools/decevent/ )
> dia -R -o full | more
> but dia is not supported on servers, so you may need to install WebES.

> see http://www.support.compaq.com/svctools/webes/index.html

and also we tried new media. When I was poking around it looked like the

power plug was loose. I replaced that and will do a test again to night
and see what happens. (The tape drive was replaced by TS on 8-11-00)

--
Ron Bramblett
Systems Administrator