Problem with SNMPD under 4.0D

From: Timothy Gaastra <Tim.Gaastra_at_ustsvs.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 12:25:11 -0700

I'm witnessing a strange problem with one particular instance of snmp on a
particular 4.0D machine.

snmp starts on the machine and I can query specific OIDs, but if I do an
snmpwalk from a remote machine, it will go down till it gets part way
through the host MIB (RFC 1514) and gets hung on this:

host.hrDevice.hrProcessorTable.hrProcessorEntry.hrProcessorFrwID.1 = OID:
.ccitt.nullOID
Error in packet.
Reason: (genError) A general failure occured

Afterwards, no query returns any information, until I run "os_mibs" again on
that machine?

Is this a software error? We have other 4.0D and earlier machines without
this problem. I'm leaning towards a hardware problem with the machine, but
it seems strange that this would put SNMP into an unusable state like this.

My current solution is of the "don't pick it and it won't bleed" variety
(since I don't need this particular information) but I'd like to correct it.

Any thoughts?