SUMMARY: RAID 5 across RA3000 channels a benefit?

From: Sweatt, Wayne <sweatt_at_dps.state.nm.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:58:22 -0600

 The short answer is: YES
 More channels = better I/O Performance.
 But I must mention that there were a couple of comments on my choice of
RAID.
 I already knew about the RAID 0+1 advantage of faster writes and offline
backups,
 but.... as always, contracting with a poor State government, I'm at a
minimum of drives.
 I'm lucky to have two SCSI channels.
So... my solution is going to be to have 1 RAID 0+1 Virtual Disk and two
RAID 5 sets.
RAID 5 uses less devices, and our particular database is 80% read anyway.
The RAID 0+1 VDisk will be used to hold the more write intensive Oracle
datafiles, such as TEMP.

Here is a page that covers the basic concepts of RAID and Oracle in general
( You can sub RAID 0+1 for RAID 1 ):

http://help.netscape.com/kb/corporate/19970930-3.html