From: Carlos Chua <chuacarlos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:15:44 +0000 (SGT)

First of all, sorry for such a slow response to writing this summary. The
best excuse was my whole project was delayed for 3 months. I also decided to
wait until I did the process in order to share my experience with people
that are interested in my outcome.

Thanks to the ff for their valuable advice:

alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
Jason Carthew
Emmanuel Bove
Andre Pinho
Miguel Fliguer

I did the migration and powerpath installation on the development
environment. The development server is AS8400 with UNIX V4.0F, TruCluster
V1.6. Unfortunately, this cluster has only one node, so we can't test the
failover with powerpath running.

Below are my major steps:

1. Install 2 x HBA's for connection to Symmetrix
2. Update the /etc/ddr.dbase and /etc/disktab with Symmetrix info
3. Install Powerpath V1.5.0.6. Kernel rebuild required.
4. Add the power devices to LSM group.
5. Mirror the existing volumes to the power devices.
6. Detach the Compaq plexes and remove the record from LSM after it's
synchronized.
7. Update the ASE database by asemgr.

We did encounter some problems along the way, and of course learned a lot
from it also !

1. When adding the power device to LSM using voldiskadm, you have to use the
c partition instead of the entire disk. Example: You should use rz64c
instead of rz64 when asked for the device. Apparently the power device do
not support slicing. By typing rz64c will create LSM simple disk instead of
sliced disk.

2. We initially install Powerpath V1.5 and during the testing we have
experience system crash. After we upgrade to V1.5.0.6, the problem went
away!

The general advice I get for data migration is if I'm running AdvFS, I can
simply do an addvol the new devices and then rmvol the old devices. This
will automatically migrate the data !

I used the mirroring approach because the customer is running Informix on
raw devices.

Once again, thanks everyone for the great advice !!

Please feel free to ask me if anyone needs more detail.

Regards,

Carlos Chua
chuacarlos_at_hotmail.com

Below is my original question:

Hi,

I've seen similar question asked about this topic but couldn't find the
summary so I apologize for posting this topic again.

I would soon be installing EMC disks in a TruCluster environment and migrate
the existing data on Storageworks to the new EMC disks.

Following is the config:

Server A:GS60 - Digital UNIX V4.0F, TruCluster V1.6, LSM
Server B:ES40 - Digital UNIX V4.0F, TruCluster V1.6, LSM
HSZXX controller with Storagework disks

This is what I plan to do:

1. Install new KZPBA x 2 on each Alphaservers (total of 4 controllers).
2. Daisy chain the EMC disks to the Alphaservers. I'll be having 2 new SCSI
buses.
3. Create new devices from EMC disks and use LSM to mirror them to the
existing Storagework data disks.
4. Once everything is synchronized, I'll use LSM to detach the old disks
from the mirror.
5. Shutdown the Alphaservers and then remove the old disks.
6. Hopefully everything comes up properly on reboot.

Questions:
1. Is this the right approach? Has anyone out there done this? Any gotchas I
have to be careful of?
2. Assuming I did all the makedev and mirroring on Server A, which have the
disk services running, what other changes do I need to do with regards to
the TruCluster software? Will TruCluster be aware of the new drives
automatically (especially during failover)?
3. What changes do I need to do on Server B? Do I need to define the new EMC
devices on this server so that during failover it can import successfully?
4. To complicate things further, I'll be installing EMC's Powerpath as well.
Has anyone done this on a cluster environment? If yes, in which of the above
steps should I insert the Powerpath installation?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I don't have the luxury of testing
all the procedures on a test environment first. This means I'll be going
straight to the production servers with minimal downtime!

Regards,

Carlos Chua
chuacarlos_at_hotmail.com